What Happened February 13th In Pop Music History
It’s February 13th and these are some of the things that happened on this day in pop music history:
- In 2016, Justin Bieber’s “Sorry” was knocked out of the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100 after three weeks by… Justin Bieber’s “Love Yourself.” After being bumped a week later by Zayn’s “Pillowtalk,” Bieber’s “Love Yourself” returned to No. 1 for one more week.
- In 1997, Michael Jackson and his second wife, Debbie Rowe, welcomed his first child, Michael Joseph Jackson Jr. The child is nicknamed Prince.
- In 1993, RuPaul became the first drag queen to have a song on the Billboard Hot 100 when “Supermodel (You Better Work” hits No. 91. The song went on to reach No. 45.
- In 2011, The Suburbs by Montreal’s Arcade Fire won Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards. Canada’s Justin Bieber didn’t have as much luck – he lost Best New Artist to Esperanza Spalding.
- In 1996, UK boy band Take That announced at a press conference in Manchester that they were calling it quits. The move came shortly after Robbie Williams left the group. Take That, which had a dozen No. 1 hits in the UK, reunited (without Williams) for a tour in 2006.
- In 1974, Robert Peter Williams was is born in England. He took dance lessons and appeared in school plays before, at 16, becoming a member of Take That. The group had many hits but Williams left in 1995 and went on to have a successful solo career thanks to hits like “Angels.”
- In 1971, The Osmonds started a five-week run at No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with “One Bad Apple.” The song was intended for The Jackson 5, but they chose to record “ABC” instead.
- In 2002, thieves broke into George Michael’s London home and stole art, jewelry and designer clothes – and then drove away in the pop star’s Aston Martin DB7. Michael was in Los Angeles at the time of the burglary.
And that’s what popped on this day.
Bake for the Animals is a Fundraising effort for The Humane Society of Kitchener Waterloo and Stratford Perth. Simply bake your favorite treats, sell them and donate the funds to the animals. In 2020 we're turning over a new spoon and saying "ALL SWEETS NOW WELCOME!". That's right, we don't discriminate. Register for the Centre of your choice - the Stratford Perth Humane Society or the Kitchener Waterloo Humane Society - and create your online bakery. We can't WAIT to see what you creative cookers come up with! And wait, there’s more, if you want to get a jump start, raise $150 by 12:00 pm on Friday, February 7th and get entered into a draw to win a Blendtec Classic 575 Blender!