Foil Pack French Dip Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 package au jus gravy mix, separated
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Heavy Duty Foil
- 1 long/large (or 2 smaller) baguettes
- 1 pound deli roast beef (ask for rare, since it's getting cooked)
- 1 package pre-sliced (12 slices total)provolone cheese
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (400 degrees) or the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Start by making the butter mixture. Combine the softened (not melted) butter, 1 tablespoon of the au jus gravy mix, Worcestershire sauce, dried minced garlic, and onion powder in a bowl. Stir until ingredients are completely combined and set aside.
- Cut the baguette into equal parts of about 6-10 inches in length. Next, make an ODD number of thin slices (approx. 1/2 inch wide) into each piece of the baguette, cutting only about 3/4 the way through. It's important there are an ODD number of slices so that each sandwich has 2 pieces of bread.
- Separate the butter mixture created in step 2 into 2 equal parts. Using a butter knife, spread a small amount of the mixture inside each slice of bread. Save half of the mixture for later.
- Slice the individual pieces of cheese in half and place 1 piece, along with 1 piece of roast beef, in-between every two "slices" of bread. (Again, these will be individual pull-apart sandwiches, so you don't want cheese and meat in-between each slice).
- Take the other half of the butter mixture and brush it along the tops and sides of each of the sandwiches with a pastry brush.
Wrap each baguette section completely in foil. Make sure none of the bread is exposed.
Place in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or the preheated grill for 6-9 minutes (turning frequently) or until bread is toasty and cheese is melted. If you have a thicker baguette it will take longer.
While the sandwiches are cooking, prepare the au jus. Take the remaining au jus mixture and place in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 cups cold water and whisk. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer to allow it to slightly thicken. (You can do this on the side burner of a grill or even over a campfire OR make ahead of you bring these sandwiches camping.
- Remove foil packs and open carefully to let the steam escape. Pull apart the sandwiches and enjoy with the au jus sauce.