Sentencing Of Canada's Tory Lanez Pushed To August

laneztor

Canadian rapper Tory Lanez, convicted in December of the 2020 shooting of Megan Thee Stallion, had his sentencing postponed Tuesday.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge David Herriford agreed to a defence request for more time to prepare its sentencing recommendation. Lanez will now learn his fate on Aug. 7.

Last week, prosecutors said Lanez should spend 13 years in prison and noted his lack of remorse. The maximum he faces is 22 years and eight months.

The 30-year-old Ontario native, whose real name is Daystar Peterson, has been in custody since a jury found him guilty on Dec. 23 of assault with a firearm, carrying a loaded and unregistered firearm and discharging a firearm with gross negligence.

Lanez’s sentencing, initially set for Jan. 27, was pushed to Feb. 28 to allow his new lawyers to review materials. It was postponed to April 10 and then to June 13.

According to The Associated Press, Lanez wore an orange jail outfit and black cap and mostly kept his head down during Tuesday’s brief hearing.

TORY LANEZ: Full iHeartRadio.ca Music News Coverage

In February, Megan wrote in Elle about her mental health struggles after she was shot and said she was done talking publicly about what happened. “I understand the public intrigue, but for the sake of my mental health, I don’t plan to keep reliving the most traumatic experience of my life over and over again,” she wrote.

Lanez has released seven studio albums since 2016 and has collected three consecutive JUNO Awards for Rap Recording of the Year. He also earned the JUNO for R&B/Soul Recording of the Year for a collaboration with Jessie Reyez and Tainy.

In January, a publicist for the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, which oversees the JUNOs, told iHeartRadio.ca it “has not rescinded an award to date but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a possibility in the future.”

Artist Radio

Listen to music from Megan Thee Stallion