Tom Petty Died Of Accidental Drug Overdose


Rocker Tom Petty died last October of an accidental drug overdose, it was revealed Friday.

According to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner, Petty had fentanyl, oxycodone, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl (opioids); temazepam and alprazolam (sedatives); and citalopram (an antidepressant).

Acetyl fentanyl has not been approved for medical use in the United States.

The official cause of death was "multisystem organ failure due to resuscitated cardiopulmonary arrest due to mixed drug toxicity.” 

The Medical Examiner said Petty, who was 66 when he died, had coronary artery atherosclerosis and emphysema.

In a statement posted online, Petty wife Dana and eldest daughter Adria said the musician suffered from “many serious ailments” including knee problems and a fractured hip.

“Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury,” it read.

“On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause of his over use of medication.”

The family said it took comfort knowing Petty “went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most,” but added that his death should spark more conversations about the opioid crisis.