What Happened February 22nd In Pop Music History
It’s February 22nd and these are some of the things that happened on this day in pop music history:
- In 1989, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (Will Smith) won the first ever Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance. Their track “Parents Just Don’t Understand,” which used the theme music from TV’s I Dream of Jeannie, was up against songs by Salt-n-Pepa, LL Cool J, Kool Moe Dee and J.J. Fad.
- In 1993, Lenny Kravitz released his Christian anthem "Are You Gonna Go My Way." In addition to becoming one of his biggest hits, the song (co-written by Craig Ross) earned a pair of Grammy nominations.
In 2011, Adele’s sophomore album, 21, was released in the U.S. and Canada. Thanks to songs like “Rolling in the Deep” and “Rumour Has It,” the album went to No. 1.
- In 1974, James Hillier Blount was born in England. After graduating from the University of Bristol and serving in the British armed forces, he modified his surname and launched a successful music career. His biggest hit was 2005’s “You’re Beautiful.”
- In 1997, the Spice Girls went to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with their debut single “Wannabe.” It remained the top song on the chart for another three weeks.
- In 1977, The Eagles released “Hotel California,” the title track from the band’s fifth studio album. It became their most successful song ever.
And that’s what popped on this day.
There is a lot of confusion surrounding Childish Gambino’s new surprise album that was released yesterday. There was a link that went to a site that was retweeted by his manager that lead to a bunch of new songs available to stream including songs that were featuring Ariana Grande, 21 Savage and SZA on the website.
The tweet and entire account ended up being deleted and the website is no longer available.
Niall Horan finally released Heartbreak Weather! What do you think of it?
Disney releases Frozen 2 on Disney Plus early.
Niall Horan will be coming to Toronto for the #iHeartRadioSecretSession! As revealed yesterday on iheartradio.ca, the Secret Session will be happening March 19th at a top secret location. (0:12)
Fans have been expressing great concern for Post Malone’s health after videos were going around online of him on stage looking like he was really out of it. Posty addressed these concerns when at a recent show. (0:41)
Rihanna just opened her own Fenty Beauty Tiktok House. (1:44)
Coronavirus continues to impact many music events around the world. It was announced that Ultra Music Festival, and SXSW are cancelled due to concerns of bringing together such large groups of people - and there is word that Coachella could be the next event to be shut down. (2:32)
Poor ticket sales have forced Justin Bieber to downsize eight shows on his upcoming Changes Tour. (3:10)