What Happened February 23rd In Pop Music History
It’s February 23rd and these are some of the things that happened on this day in pop music history:
- In 2003, Norah Jones cleaned up at the Grammy Awards, winning Best New Artist, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, Best Pop Vocal Album, Record of the Year and Album of the Year. Her hit “Don’t Know Why” also won Song of the Year.
- In 2002, the Bee Gees made their last concert appearance as a trio at the Love and Hope Ball in Miami Beach, Florida. Maurice Gibb died in early 2003 and Robin Gibb died in 2012.
- In 2017, Jay Z became the first rapper inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
- In 1955, John Howard Jones was born in England. He moved to Canada with his family when he was in his teens. In 1984, as Howard Jones, he released his debut album, which included the hit “New Song.” The singer followed with hits like “No One Is To Blame.”
- In 1999, Eminem released his major label debut, The Slim Shady LP. With tracks like “My Name Is,” it went on to become a huge success and was named Best Rap Album at the Grammys.
- In 2013, Rihanna “won” a Golden Raspberry Award (aka Razzie) as Worst Supporting Actress for her role in Battleship. She was up against Jennifer Lopez in What to Expect When You’re Expecting.
- In 1983, Lionel Richie earned his first Grammy for “Truly.” His solo debut single was named Best Male Pop Vocal Performance.
- In 1999, TLC released their third album FanMail, which spawned hits like “No Scrubs” and “Unpretty.” It spent four weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart won three Grammys, including Best R&B Album.
And that’s what popped on this day.
There is a lot of confusion surrounding Childish Gambino’s new surprise album that was released yesterday. There was a link that went to a site that was retweeted by his manager that lead to a bunch of new songs available to stream including songs that were featuring Ariana Grande, 21 Savage and SZA on the website.
The tweet and entire account ended up being deleted and the website is no longer available.
Niall Horan finally released Heartbreak Weather! What do you think of it?
Disney releases Frozen 2 on Disney Plus early.
Niall Horan will be coming to Toronto for the #iHeartRadioSecretSession! As revealed yesterday on iheartradio.ca, the Secret Session will be happening March 19th at a top secret location. (0:12)
Fans have been expressing great concern for Post Malone’s health after videos were going around online of him on stage looking like he was really out of it. Posty addressed these concerns when at a recent show. (0:41)
Rihanna just opened her own Fenty Beauty Tiktok House. (1:44)
Coronavirus continues to impact many music events around the world. It was announced that Ultra Music Festival, and SXSW are cancelled due to concerns of bringing together such large groups of people - and there is word that Coachella could be the next event to be shut down. (2:32)
Poor ticket sales have forced Justin Bieber to downsize eight shows on his upcoming Changes Tour. (3:10)