What Happened February 5th In Pop Music History
It’s February 5th and these are some of the things that happened on this day in pop music history:
- In 2017, Lady Gaga’s Super Bowl halftime performance began with pre-recorded footage of the pop star standing on the stadium roof singing parts of “God Bless America” and “This Land Is Your Land” before jumping off. The live portion of the halftime show began with Gaga, suspended by cables, being lowered to the stage.
- In 1981, Joni Mitchell, whose iconic songs include “Big Yellow Taxi” and “Both Sides Now,” was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame at the Juno Awards in Toronto.
- In 2018, Paul Simon announced that his Homeward Bound Tour would be his last. It kicked off in Vancouver and included shows in Toronto and Montreal.
- In 1983, Toto’s “Africa” replaced “Down Under” by Men At Work at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The following week, “Down Under” was back on top.
- In 1969, Robert Barisford Brown was born in Boston. He was got the performing bug as a child after seeing James Brown in concert. After having a successful run as part of New Edition, Bobby Brown launched a solo career that included the No. 1 single “My Prerogative.”
- In 1986, Prince released “Kiss” as the lead single from Prince and The Revolution’s eighth studio album Parade. A Top 10 hit in Canada, the song went had a two-week run at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in April 1986.
And that’s what popped on this day.
Shawn Hook stops by to tell us about his new song 'I Don't Wanna Dance' and tells us about how he deals with pressure and anxiety on tour, and how important talking about mental health should be.
Gord Sinclair tells us about being a Canadian Icon, new music, The Tragically Hip and love and loss.Gord Sinclair stops by to talk to us about The Tragically Hip being Canadian Icons, his new record Taxi Dancers (and its Hip influence), feeling the pressures of making solo music, band dynamics, songwriting and more!
Billy Talent sit down to tell us about how playing music is all they've ever known and all they've ever wanted, how they stay current and strive to release their best music every cycle, and how they established a fan base across Europe and the world!