What Happened March 9th In Pop Music History
It’s March 9th and these are some of the things that happened on this day in pop music history:
- In 1987, U2 released its fifth studio album, The Joshua Tree. Co-produced by Hamilton, Ont. native Daniel Lanois, it included hits like “With Or Without You,” “Where The Streets Have No Name,” and “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” The Joshua Tree was named Album of the Year at the Grammys.
- In 1997, Notorious B.I.G. (aka Christopher Wallace) was killed in a drive-by shooting in Los Angeles. He was 24. The rapper, who was struck by four bullets, was pronounced dead at 1:15 a.m. local time in hospital.
- In 1985, REO Speedwagon’s “Can’t Fight This Feeling” began a three-week run at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song, which appeared on the Wheels Are Turnin’ album, was the band’s second to top the chart.
- In 2015, R&B singer Angie Stone got into a fight with her adult daughter Diamond and was accused of hitting her with a metal object and knocking out her front teeth. Stone was charged the next day with domestic aggravated assault.
- In 1958, Martin David Fry was born in England. At 20, he joined a electronic music group called Vice Versa, which later became ABC. They recorded six studio albums between 1982 and 1991 and had hits like “Poison Arrow,” “When Smokey Sings” and “The Look of Love.”
- In 1987, Shad Gregory Moss was born in Columbus, Ohio. By the age of six he was doing rap under the name Kid Gangsta, Snoop Dogg later nicknamed him Lil’ Bow Wow and he went on to record six studio albums with tracks like “Bow Wow (That’s My Name)” and “Let Me Hold You.”
And that’s what popped on this day.
There is a lot of confusion surrounding Childish Gambino’s new surprise album that was released yesterday. There was a link that went to a site that was retweeted by his manager that lead to a bunch of new songs available to stream including songs that were featuring Ariana Grande, 21 Savage and SZA on the website.
The tweet and entire account ended up being deleted and the website is no longer available.
Niall Horan finally released Heartbreak Weather! What do you think of it?
Disney releases Frozen 2 on Disney Plus early.
Niall Horan will be coming to Toronto for the #iHeartRadioSecretSession! As revealed yesterday on iheartradio.ca, the Secret Session will be happening March 19th at a top secret location. (0:12)
Fans have been expressing great concern for Post Malone’s health after videos were going around online of him on stage looking like he was really out of it. Posty addressed these concerns when at a recent show. (0:41)
Rihanna just opened her own Fenty Beauty Tiktok House. (1:44)
Coronavirus continues to impact many music events around the world. It was announced that Ultra Music Festival, and SXSW are cancelled due to concerns of bringing together such large groups of people - and there is word that Coachella could be the next event to be shut down. (2:32)
Poor ticket sales have forced Justin Bieber to downsize eight shows on his upcoming Changes Tour. (3:10)