Why January 22nd Matters In Rock History
It’s January 22nd and here are some reasons why this day matters in rock history:
- In 1972, Don McLean’s album American Pie started a seven-week run at No. 1 on the charts. The record was dedicated to Buddy Holly, a childhood icon of McLean’s.
- In 1972, David Bowie came out as bisexual in an interview with British music newspaper Melody Maker.
- In 1977, Wings went to No. 1 on the album chart with their live set, Wings Over America.
- In 1990, Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash used profanity numerous times on live television while accepting an American Music Award.
- And in 1993, Metallica kicked off their 77-date Nowhere Else to Roam world tour at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
And that’s what happened today in rock history.
Original article by Dave Basner at iHeartRadio