Two women severely burned after a backyard party

Backyard fire

It was supposed to be a fun summer party until it went horribly wrong.

Two women have been left with severe burns after some patio furniture caught fire in the backyard of a home near Kennedy and Danforth.

It was just before 10 p.m., neighbours say they heard horrible screams and saw flames shooting high into the air.

The cause of the fire hasn't been confirmed but witnesses say two ethanol candles were knocked over spewing the flammable liquid all over.

Fire officials say one woman jumped into the pool to try to douse the flames.

Neighbours are in shock. One told CP24, "The first two that came out, their lives are going to be changed forever."