Quebec Resident Working in Renfrew County and District Has Tested Positive for COVID-19
The Renfrew County and District Health Unit has released the following...
On March 23, 2020, the Institut national de santé publique du Québec notified Renfrew County and District Health Unit (RCDHU) that a Quebec resident working in Renfrew County and District tested positive for COVID-19.
RCDHU has been working with the employer and have identified workers in Renfrew County and District who could possibly have been exposed. RCDHU has delivered specific instruction to these individuals on self isolation and self monitoring for symptoms.
Across Canada, testing is limited due to a shortage of testing material and RCDHU must prioritize testing for the most vulnerable populations.
Consequently, we will assume the fellow workers are probable cases if they develop symptoms. A probable case is defined as:
- A person with a fever (over 38 degrees Celsius) and/or onset of (or exacerbation of chronic) cough AND any of the following within 14 days prior to onset of illness:
- Travel to an impacted area or
- Close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 or
- Close contact with a person with acute respiratory illness who has been to an impacted area
- In whom laboratory diagnosis of COVID-19 is not available, recommended, inconclusive, or negative.
RCDHU is reminding residents that social distancing will help to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This includes the following measures:
- Avoiding non-essential trips in the community.
- If you have to go into the community for an essential trip via taxi or rideshare, be sure to keep the windows down.
- Avoiding visits to Long-Term Care Homes, Retirement Homes, Supportive Housing, hospitals, Hospices and other congregate care settings unless the visit is absolutely essential.
- Talk to your supervisor, manager, or employer about the possibility of working from home.
- If you have meetings planned, consider doing them virtually instead of in person.
- Avoid sending children to daycare.
- Individuals should stay home unless necessary.
- If you spend time outside maintain a 2-metre distance from other people.
Additionally, practice the following measures to reduce the spread of germs including the novel coronavirus (COVID-19):
- Clean your hands frequently with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then clean your hands.
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve and then clean your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, unless you have just cleaned your hands.
- If you are ill, stay home.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Get your flu shot.
RCDHU wants to assure residents that we continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation daily and currently there are no laboratory confirmed cases in Renfrew County and District as of March 24, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.
For more information, visit the RCDHU website at https://www.rcdhu.com/novel-coronavirus-covid-19-2/, or for COVID-19 information for workplaces, visit: https://www.rcdhu.com/covid-19-information-for-workplaces/.