Strike Watch: RCDSB & RCCDSB Schools To Be OPEN Monday
Renfrew County's public and Catholic school boards say their schools will remain OPEN on Monday, October 7 even if there's a strike by Ontario's school support staff. Last minute talks will begin late Friday afternoon to try to avoid a strike by the 55,000 workers. Talks are expected to continue through the weekend, but even if a deal is not reached, the public and Catholic schools will be open on Monday and will then reassess at the end of the day. Here's the latest you need to know from both boards:
Renfrew County District School Board Statement:
"No teachers or any in-class support staff including Early Childhood Educators (ECEs) and Educational Assistants (EAs) are part of this CUPE action within our District. Central bargaining negotiations are set to continue throughout the weekend and we remain hopeful that an agreement will be made and a strike will be avoided. If an agreement cannot be reached, our District will nonetheless proceed with regular school day operations on Monday, October 7, 2019.
In the event of a CUPE strike, we wish to advise parents/guardians and community members of the following:
- Secondary athletic events and inter-district games will not take place beginning Monday, October 7, 2019. We will continue to assess and monitor the situation and resume activities when and where appropriate.
- School Cash Online orders will no longer be posted and processed. The District will cover class trips that are planned unless the school Principal deems there is a safety concern.
- All Community Use Permits will be cancelled effective the end of school day on Friday, October 4, 2019. This will be reassessed at the end of two weeks.
- Busing will continue as usual and parents/guardians who drive their child to school are reminded that they may cross a picket line and experience delays. Please allow for extra time.
- We encourage all visitors to our schools to please enter and exit carefully through the picket line. Stop when necessary and you will be allowed to cross. Please avoid confrontation or provocation at all times.
As always, we will continue to provide information to parents/guardians and the community at large when it becomes available to us. Our goal is to ensure minimal disruption to the learning of our students, with safety as our top priority.
Renfrew County Catholic District School Board Statement:
The RCCDSB has 12 schools with CUPE caretakers. These are:
St. Joseph's, Arnprior
St. Francis of Assisi, Petawawa
St. John Bosco, Barry’s Bay
Holy Name, Pembroke
St. Anthony's, Chalk River
Our Lady of Lourdes, Pembroke
George Vanier, Combermere
Our Lady of Grace, Westmeath
St. Mary's, Deep River
Bishop Smith Catholic High School, Pembroke
St. Andrew's, Killaloe
St. Joseph's Catholic High School, Renfrew
All RCCDSB schools will remain open on Monday, October 7th. School administration supported by central staff will be working diligently to complete safety and cleanliness procedures ordinarily undertaken by our caretakers prior to the start of and during the school day. Student safety, well-being and learning continue to be our focus. The Board will be monitoring the situation very carefully and re-assessing at the conclusion of the school day Monday.
Please note that the following schools are NOT IMPACTED by the CUPE labour action and will continue to operate as usual:
St. Joseph's, Calabogie
Our Lady of Sorrows, Petawawa
St. Thomas the Apostle, Renfrew
St. James, Eganville
St. John XXIII, Arnprior
St. Michael’s, Douglas
Our Lady of Fatima, Renfrew
All transportation services are running as usual. We look forward to seeing everyone on Monday. We understand the parties at the provincial table will be bargaining again this weekend and we continue to hope and pray for a settlement.