Elton John Donates $1 Million To Australian Fire Relief

elton

Elton John paused his show in Sydney, Australia on Tuesday to announce that he is pledging $1 million to the country’s bushfire relief efforts.

“You should all be in awe of the work that the firefighters are doing,” the singer said. “There are people out there who have lost their lives trying to save homes, there are people who have lost their lives and their homes.

“And last, is the plight of the animals and loss of their habitat that frankly, is on a biblical scale and heartbreaking.”

It was not immediately known if the singer is donating U.S. or Australian dollars (approx. $687,000 U.S.).

MORE: Music Stars Pledge Support As Fires Rage In Australia

John, who first performed in Australia nearly 50 years ago, was doing his third of five Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour shows at Sydney’s Qudos Bank Arena. He is scheduled to perform in Australia until Feb. 1.

"To see what is happening here breaks my heart,” said John, “and so we have to come together and we have to fight. This is my bit towards it, and I love Australia so much.”

Other music stars who previously announced donations to help volunteer fire fighters and victims of the bushfires include P!nk, Selena Gomez, Keith Urban (with wife Nicole Kidman) and Kylie Minogue.

Canada’s Shawn Mendes said both he and his eponymous foundation are making donations. “Every time I’ve been to Australia I’ve fallen more and more in love with the people & wildlife,” he wrote. “Please join me to help support relief efforts for the devastating effects of the Australian wildfires.”

Jonah Marais of Why Don’t We made a $1,000 U.S. donation and urged the pop group’s fans to do what they can. “I encourage all of you guys to donate as well even if it’s a small amount,” he tweeted. “sending my love to australia.”

Artist Radio

Listen to music from Elton John & Shawn Mendes