10 Fun Facts About iHeartRadio MMVAs
The 2018 iHeartRadio MMVAs take place Sunday night in Toronto with host Awkwafina and a stellar line-up of presenters and performers.
To warm-up for the big show, here are 10 fun facts:
- The MMVAs began in 1990 as the Canadian Music Video Awards. The name was changed in 1995.
- From 1991 until 2000, the MMVAs were held every September. The show was scrapped in 2001 due to the 9/11 terrorist attacks, which happened two weeks before the show was scheduled to take place. From 2002 until 2017, the MMVAs were held in June.
- The night’s top award, Video the Year, has gone to a solo artist only seven times in the history of the MMVAs. (This year, no groups are nominated in this category.) The award has also only ever gone to Canadian acts. (This year only two of the nominees are Canadian – not counting Alessia Cara, who is featured in Logic’s nominated video “1-800-273-8255”).
- Some of the biggest names in music have graced the MMVAs stage. Past performers include Destiny’s Child, David Bowie, Red Hot Chill Peppers, Britney Spears, Ariana Grande, Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars and Katy Perry.
- Ashlee Simpson-Ross, a presenter at this year’s iHeartRadio MMVAs, was a performer at the show in 2005.
- Only six artists have performed at the MMVAs both solo and as part of a group: Nick Jonas (with Jonas Brothers in 2009 and solo in 2015 and 2016), Joe Jonas (with Jonas Brothers in 2009 and with DNCE in 2017), Trevor Guthrie (with soulDecision in 2000 and with Armin Van Buuren in 2013), Fergie (with Black Eyed Peas in 2005 and solo in 2007) and Camila Cabello (with Fifth Harmony in 2016 and solo in 2017). Dallas Green holds the record, though – he performed in 2005, 2007 and 2009 with Alexisonfire and in 2006 and 2011 as City and Colour. Nick Lachey will join the club this year after he performs with 98 Degrees. He previously took the stage as a solo artist in 2006.
- This will be Shawn Mendes’ third performance at the iHeartRadio MMVAs. He previously played in 2015 and 2016.
- This is the 10th anniversary for Kristin Cavallari at the iHeartRadio MMVAs. She first presented in 2008 (and returned in 2010). Colton Haynes is also making a return visit this year as a presenter – he first did it in 2014.
- Rock bands have fared well at the MMVAs over the years. Billy Talent and Our Lady Peace are the most-winning acts, with 10 each. Simple Plan won Fave Group five times between 2003 and 2008.
- Two American Idol winners have performed on the MMVAs – Season 1 winner Kelly Clarkson in 2009 and 2012 and Season 11 winner Phillip Phillips in 2013. Season 8 runner-up Adam Lambert performed in 2010.