Several structures damaged in fire near Lorette; cigarette believed to spark blaze
Several structures have been destroyed after a grass fire was sparked Wednesday just west of Lorette, Man.
Allan Rau, the fire chief for the RM of Tache, said it's believed the fire was started by a cigarette.
"The initial call came in as a grass fire, but as I was the first vehicle coming on scene, I noticed a lot of black smoke and knew that quickly escalated to a structure fire," said Rau.
He added, strong winds caused the fire to move west, engulfing a few more buildings including a garage.
Rau said crews focused on protecting one home near the fire and they were able to prevent it from suffering any damage.
No one was injured during the blaze and there are no damage estimates yet.
Rau is reminding people that during these dry conditions, it is very easy for a fire to start.
"This is all tall grass here, and a little bit of a spark, the wind that we got going and the dryness; it was just a recipe for it to go up quickly and it did."
The Tokyo Olympics ended in gold for Kasia Gruchalla-Wesierski, but she almost didn’t have the chance to earn the medal.
Calgarians visited the Temple Community Centre Sunday, where an event featuring Black-owned businesses, food trucks and entertainment was held to celebrate Emancipation Day.
A toddler in Fort Saskatchewan received a lot of well wishes to celebrate his third birthday on Sunday.
‘It’s great for Canada:’ Penny Oleksiak’s parents happy for daughter’s historic achievement at Tokyo OlympicsRichard and Alison Oleksiak say they cannot wait to see their daughter Penny on Monday when she arrives home after her historic week at the Tokyo Olympics.
A man was hospitalized after being struck by a vehicle in Scarborough Sunday evening.
British Columbia's police watchdog is investigating an incident in which a man fell to his death while police were present at a home in Coquitlam early Sunday morning.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) is warning the public about possible exposure to COVID-19 at a casino in Lloydminster.
Two homes and one detached garage in the southwest community of Woodbine went up in flames Sunday afternoon.
It may have rained for a short stretch Saturday, but farmers will need much more than they got to salvage their fast-dying crops.