Why February 20th Matters In Rock History
It’s February 20th and here are some reasons why this day matters in rock history:
- In 1982, Pat Benatar married musician-producer Neil Geraldo in Hawaii.
- In 1960, a 16-year-old guitarist named Jimi Hendrix made his stage debut when he played a show at Seattle’s Temple De Hirsch Sinai synagogue. He was fired halfway through the gig because of his show-off style and wild playing.
- In 1970, the Plastic Ono Band released their single “Instant Karma,” which John Lennon wrote, recorded and mixed on one day the month before.
- In 1976, all four members of KISS had their footprints put in the pavement outside of Hollywood’s Grauman’s Chinese Theatre.
- In 2003, 100 people died after pyrotechnics ignited a Rhode Island club during a Great White show. The band’s singer, Ty Longley, also was killed in the tragedy which happened when foam soundproofing caught fire. The blaze spread quickly and fans all tried to escape through the same exit. The two club owners and the band’s former tour manager were all charged with involuntary manslaughter.
- And in 2004, Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme said he would carry on with the group after bassist Nick Oliveri and singer Mark Lanegan left.
And that’s what happened today in rock history.
Original article by Dave Basner at iHeartRadio
FOX and iHeartRadio announced that there is going to be a relief concert that will be hosted by Elton John and there are going to be a bunch of performers like Billie Eilish, Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey, Tim McGraw and more. The online show is now going to be taking it’s place on Sunday March 29, at 9PM EST. Stream to listen to the concert in Canada
Cardi B went on a rant about celebrities who are being tested for the coronavirus without any symptoms, saying those celebrities are causing confusion to the general public. She pointed out not everyone has the luxury of being tested and going home to isolate in a giant house. A lot of people have to get tested and go back home to a small apartment they share with others. She ended her video by saying the government should foot the bill for people to get tested and treated.
The pandemic continues to impact the music industry in a variety of ways. Camila Cabello is the latest to announce that her tour which is supposed to kick off in Vancouver coming up at the end of July but it has now been postponed. (1:55)
Stevie Nicks said in a post on her Twitter that she is getting a lot of paintings and drawings done, as well as has been listening to Harry Style’s new album ‘Fine Line’ which has inspired her to write some new songs and poetry. (2:32)
Lady Gaga said because of everything going on in the world she doesn’t feel right putting out her new album Chromatica. (2:58)
Dua Lipa's new album Future Nostalgia was set to be released next Friday, but it has been pushed up since it was leaked online. She said she hopes the new album makes her fans smile and dance and makes them proud. She dropped her new single last night called Break My Heart which is a banger! (3:28)
Rihanna's Clara Lionel Foundation announced they would be donating $5 million dollars ($7.2M CAD) to a number of organizations that go to helping deliver food, medical supplies and equipment in the US, Barbados and other countries. (0:25)
Four years after its initial release, the entire phone conversation between Kanye West and Taylor Swift has apparently been leaked. Taylor did thank Kanye for giving her a heads up about what he had planned but Kanye didn’t exactly tell her everything he was going to include in the song, and there are many times you can hear how uncomfortable Taylor is on the other line. (0:57)
Ariana Grande has had to file a restraining order against a man who showed up at her house. (2:40)
The Weekend has released his album After Hours. He also has been teasing that the saga continues and followed that up by dropping a new video for his song ‘In Your Eyes.’ (3:51)
Childish Gambino/Donald Glover finally released his new album called Donald Glover Presents - 3.15.20 and does in fact feature songs from Ariana Grande, 21 Savage and even his son Legend. The album originally leaked for around 12 hours last weekend. (3:21)
There is a lot of confusion surrounding Childish Gambino’s new surprise album that was released yesterday. There was a link that went to a site that was retweeted by his manager that lead to a bunch of new songs available to stream including songs that were featuring Ariana Grande, 21 Savage and SZA on the website.
The tweet and entire account ended up being deleted and the website is no longer available.
Niall Horan finally released Heartbreak Weather! What do you think of it?
Disney releases Frozen 2 on Disney Plus early.